Many people are looking for ways to save money in this economy. One area that is possible to cuts costs is car insurance. In this article let’s look at a few car insurance tips you can follow to save money.
1. Minimum coverage. Are you over insured?
Take a look at your policy and decide whether you need additional coverage such as collision and comprehensive coverage. Also take a look at the value of your automobile to determine if you are covering it beyond its current value.
2. Driving course. In some states you can reduce your monthly premium by taking a driving course.
Car insurance companies feel that people who are more skillful will commit less accidents. You may be rewarded for that in the state you live in and it’s worth seeing if you are.
3. Be the only driver. One mistake people make is lending their car to a friend who doesn’t have insurance.
Did you know you’re liable if an accident is caused by an uninsured driver in your car? If you are going to let anybody drive your car make sure they have car insurance themselves.
4. Ask about discounts. Depending on how long you have had your policy you may qualify for other discounts you are not aware of.
Common discounts include a car insurance discount if you have homeowner’s insurance with the same company. If you’re over 25 you may qualify for discount. If your high school or college student is a honor student you might be able to lower your premium as well.
5. Check the features on your car. There may be discounts for things such as car alarms, steering wheel locks, or auto tracking devices.
If the car insurance company feels their risk will go down they may reward you with a discount on your policy. It’s your responsibility to look into these potential discounts.
6. The value of an agent. Purchasing car insurance online yourself, and bypassing the agent, can save you money.
The downside to this is you may overlook potential discounts an agent could find for you. Also many people appreciate the fact that when they have an accident they can call their agent to help them take care of it.
7. Compare companies. This is much easier to do thanks to the Internet today. You can compare rates by surfing around various car insurance websites.
These are a few tips you can follow to save money on car insurance. The responsibility is up to you, but the savings can make it worth your time and effort.