For a number of states including Illinois it may be necessary for a driver to obtain SR22 insurance and have his insurance company make the necessary filings in order for him/her to legally operate a vehicle. There are a number of effective ways to obtain this kind of coverage which we will review as follows.
SR insurance is a special type of insurance coverage which has strict filings requirements with the state in question. It is often required for drivers who have been judged to be higher risk and therefore may affect other drivers, passengers and pedestrians more so than the average driver.
There are a number of reasons why someone may be required to obtain SR22 insurance and filings with their state. Some common examples may include the following:
- Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol. If someone is therefore charged with a DUI or DWI this can often lead to a requirement for this type of coverage
- If a driver is involved in numerous traffic infractions or moving violations over a short period of time this can trigger the requirement for this type of coverage
- Involvement in a serious at fault accident can also lead to the need for this type of coverage
- A number of states including Illinois have a requirement that all vehicles have at least a minimum amount of liability insurance. If you are caught operating a vehicle without this minimum coverage you would most likely be required to obtain this special insurance. The state involved takes this very seriously.
- Other factors can include non-payment of child support, operating a vehicle with a suspended license, etc.
Many insurance companies have the ability to issue and file SR22 insurance. In many cases you can arrange for this with the insurance agent you already use. If this isn’t possible your agent should be able to recommend a company to help.
There are many websites which feature this type of coverage. In many cases a quote can be issued and coverage bound the same day. All transactions can often be done online in order to get it completed quickly and effectively.
Keep in mind that this kind of insurance is not applicable to all drivers. But for those who require it, make certain it is done properly so that you can continue to operate your vehicle legally and with no further problems. Just make certain that the coverage continues in force without interruption over a three year period. If you don’t have further problems with driving infractions or other factors you should be able to convert to a conventional type of car insurance at lower cost.