SR22 insurance is a special type of car insurance coverage which may be required for drivers who are judged to be high risk. It is something which most drivers would like to avoid because the coverage is more expensive than a traditional car insurance policy. But there are valid reasons for having to obtain this coverage and for some drivers it is the only way to operate a vehicle legally.
That being said we should first review some of the key reasons why someone may have to obtain this special type of coverage. It may be required due to the following circumstances:
- Operating a vehicle while under the influence of alcohol or drugs. This is especially critical if this occurs more than once over a specified period of time.
- Operating a vehicle without any minimum level of required car insurance. In some states including Illinois every driver is required to have at least a minimum amount of car insurance for every vehicle they operate. If someone is caught operating a vehicle without this minimum coverage there are serious risks and repercussions including the requirement for SR22 coverage.
- Involvement in multiple moving violations or accidents over a relatively short period of time. This may be indicative that the driver does pose a higher than average risk to others and may be therefore be cause for SR22 insurance coverage.
- Leaving the scene of an at fault accident.
- Operating a vehicle with a suspended or revoked license. This is a very serious infraction and obtaining SR22 insurance may be the only way to avoid criminal penalties.
Keep in mind that while SR22 insurance is generally more costly than traditional insurance it does pay to shop around. The cost of this coverage may be affected by many factors and different insurance companies may also charge different rates for the same type of coverage.
The Internet is a very easy and effective way to price shop. Do a Google search on the topic and you should find sites which specialize in this type of coverage. In many cases they can provide price quotes from one or more insurance companies.
Do your comparison and contact the insurance company or agent as required. If you follow these suggestions you should ultimately be able to obtain the required SR22 car insurance coverage you need and get it at a price which is about as low as possible.