If you are the type of person that likes to control what goes on in your life you should appreciate this fact. When it comes to car insurance the insurance company sets the rates, but you control the factors that those rates are determined by.
Here are a few things to keep in mind if you want lower your car insurance rates.
1. Your spouse. Insurance companies view stability as a good thing. If you are married make sure both of you are on the same policy as you can get a lower premium as opposed to individual policies.
2. Credit history. How is your credit? Good credit is a sign of responsibility and you can be rewarded with a lower premium.
Another factor regarding credit people don’t consider is how it affects your policy when you add a teenager to it. If you have good credit generally your premiums will be lower when you add a teenager. If you have bad credit you may want to start the teenager off on a policy of their own because it’s less expensive that way.
3. Your age. Many people go for years without having an accident. If you have a developed a history of being a safe driver you may qualify for lower car insurance rates. You never know until you ask.
4. Road rage. We have all experienced anger for another driver at one time or another. This is not the time to lose self control. You do not want to do something stupid that could injure another person and end up costing you more money.
5. Know the deductibles. If you want to lower your car insurance rate increase your deductible.
When you raise your deductible premiums are going to go down. Just make sure you have adequate coverage to cover the replacement value of the vehicle and meet the minimum requirements for the state you live in.
6. Do a proper comparison. What we mean by this is make sure when you compare policies that you are using the same factors for each company.
Know how each company is going to charge you for things based on liability insurance costs, collision and comprehensive, and medical expenses.
It is interesting how car insurance rates can vary from one company to the next. You actually have more control over your rates than you realize. Just make sure you are doing everything you can to get the lowest car insurance rate possible. You are in control this way.